WHAT ARE WE ASKING FOR?

Many years ago I attended a very expensive workshop. The agreement for all of the participants (about 75 or more) was that everyone had to be present in order to enter the room to start each class. A few members were consistently late. Those who were angry that we couldn’t begin started to accuse and blame the others who couldn’t seem to make it on time.


Those who were late gave good excuses. Neither side heard or acknowledged the other. This continued for forty-five minutes.


We had been listening to lectures about being an example to others and yet the message had quickly been forgotten. I was reluctant to remind them, but someone close by overheard me mumbling to myself and raised her hand.


“This person has something to say!” she yelled.


And suddenly everyone stopped talking and turned to look at me. I was embarrassed and afraid to speak, but something inside of me gave me the courage that I needed.


“We have all spent a lot of money and time and made the commitment to be here this weekend. We will spend hours, each trying to convince the other that their viewpoint is right and we might never walk into that room. We need to stop talking and just be those people we are saying we are,” I said, my voice cracking as I spoke.


And something miraculous happened, but I couldn’t take credit for it. Everyone moved into the room without another single word.


I might be waxing metaphysical, but we have often been told that the kingdom of heaven is within. Then why is it that we keep going without? Why are we so intent on controlling the behavior of others instead of looking within and asking ourselves what we are saying to the world with our own actions? It should be simple. We learned it in kindergarten and slowly let it slip from our minds and hearts. Do (and don’t do) unto others.

This is a time that all of us will need to live in the integrity of our words. Our actions need to be congruent and our vision needs to be crystal clear.


Preaching, arguing, fighting, convincing, and bombing will not make a difference. Embodying what we are asking for will. Leading by example, others will follow.


If it is love we are seeking, it is time to be loving. If it is peace, we need to surrender to it. If we want to be heard, then we need to listen. If we don’t, then we will surely keep going without.


If any of us are speaking words that are not supported by our actions, if we are asking another to be the way that we are not willing to be, then perhaps we can make a small shift in our behavior today that might end up changing the world tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PROJECTION

I SHOULD HAVE BEEN A BAD KID